Monday, July 25, 2016

// Meditation Monday //

Mondays are hard.  That is why we are going to start a new series on the blog ~ Meditation Mondays!
We hope to share some of our favorite tips and inspiration for stress free meditating and how your prayer and gratitude journal can assist in documenting it!

First and foremost, ANYONE can meditate.  You do not have to be in the lotus pose in a cave in Nepal to be able to benefit from the practice - although that sounds awesome!

In our Praise & Petition Journals, I have created a space for a morning meditation and mind setting activity each day.  I think it is SO important to command your mornings.  I am strongly against rolling out of bed and looking at my phone or reading emails.  I have found that waking before everyone else, heading downstairs, getting a cup of coffee and spending about 10-15 minutes alone in peace and quiet helps me set the stage for my day.  Most days I use this space to write what I am feeling but other days I may feel overwhelmed and decided to meditate and journal that experience there.  Once I am done with my morning practice, then I read emails.  Reading them after meditation makes you more proactive, not reactive.  Command your day!

Here are three tips that can help make meditation less intimidating :

1 ~ It only takes a few minutes
You do not have to set aside thirty minutes for meditation... you can achieve huge results in just five!  I rarely time myself, I just start and stop when I am ready.

2 ~ Any position will do
Please people, you do not have to be in some special pose.  The commonly used "lotus pose" is only recommended because it helps you keep your focus and keeps your lungs in the best breathing position.  You can benefit from meditation while standing, laying down, or sitting in a chair at work!

3 ~ Just focus on breathing
The hardest part about meditating when I first started was clearing my thoughts!  I felt anxious just sitting still when I had a million things to do.  The best way to stay on track and clear your mind is to BREATHE.  Focus on breathing, pay attention to how it feels, take note of your lungs expanding and contracting, envision air moving through your body and feeding your organs.  Envision light bright air entering in your body and dark air moving out. After a minute or two, you will see a huge difference.


So, there you go!  Three easy tips for meditating.  Try them out and let me know what you think!


xoxo

Katie





No comments:

Post a Comment